Mold is an essential part of our natural environment in breaking down decaying matter. This fungi can be found in all types of climates and seasons. With that being said, mold can also be harmful, especially when it is found indoors and in your living spaces. Inhaling its spores and being in contact with mold can cause harm. When you’re in constant and close proximity to mold, it can cause a variety of health issues at levels ranging from annoying to life threatening.
When your space is regularly damp, mold can thrive. Dark and damp environments are prime growing conditions for it to grow. Most people are sensitive to mold. They can exhibit sneezing, coughing, throat irritation, eye swelling or skin irritation such as a rash. In more severe cases with people who have compromised immune systems, some could contract chronic lung illnesses and have trouble breathing normally.
Damp indoor environments have been linked to upper respiratory tract infections. This also includes otherwise perfectly healthy people. For people who aren’t as healthy, such as those with asthma, being exposed to mold only made their conditions even worse than it already was. Having mold present in your home or place of business doesn’t do anyone any good.
Protecting your space is the best way to ensure that mold doesn’t fester. The most obvious places that it can enter your space is through doorways, airways and windows. Check in on your window frames and door frames to see if it is eating away at the structure. If so, you may need to have it replaced.
Other areas where moisture shows up can also be areas of concern for mold growth. Leaky roofs, pipes and areas where spillage and flooding have occurred in the past can host mold growth. Basements in particular can be a perfect example of an environment that is dark and damp. Have your house or building regularly checked to ensure that mold isn’t eating away at its structural integrity. Having regular check ins ensures that you and the people within your space are safe and healthy.
Between check-ins to make sure that your space is safe, control humidity levels with a humidifier or a dehumidifier. When something is leaking, be quick to have it repaired. If a leak or flooding has already occurred, be sure to thoroughly clean and dry the area that was affected. Whether you’re a home-owner or a business-owner, protect your health and safety and let us keep our space clean and spore-free.
According to OSHA if you find mold here is what you need to do:
A prompt response (within 24-48 hours) and thorough clean- up, drying, and/or removal of water-damaged materials will prevent or limit mold growth. Mold prevention tips include: Repairing plumbing leaks and leaks in the building structure as soon as possible.
This is a problem that requires a professional to make an assessment of the situation. In addition to mold specialists, you’ll need help from a company like Nationwide Maintenance to address the root cause of the infestation- finding where the water or moisture is entering the building. You’d be surprised by the number of ways water can enter a building. EHSToday lists things like:
Sign up to be the first to know about discounts, seasonal services, useful tips, and more! Bonus: Get a discount code for 10% off your first service.